My Wildlife Corner

Aug 2014

Summer 2014

The wildlife corner in the garden survived the slight snow (but in truth it was mostly frost) in 2015 to produce another beautifully blooming summer, not dissimilar from the previous summer, it was just a little more wild, the plants had grown taller and well let’s face it, it wasn’t going to win any ‘Best in Show’ awards for gardening – but the wildlife absolutely loved it. The birds were flitting about in the trees, coming down to the pond to drink and bath as well as forage among the plants. The insects were, well they were everywhere. They were always buzzing about the plants and you get to really enjoy them when you are sitting on the conveniently placed bench. There must have been several species of bee visiting the garden last summer as there was the deep ‘BUZZ’ then the slightly higher pitched ‘buzz’. As you can tell I am not a bee expert. I could blurt out a few Latin names of the commoner species *Bombus Lapidarius* (thank you very much no applause needed) but they would have to be obligingly still on a plant with their bottom facing me for me to have any chance of identification, so maybe I’ll try taking a few pictures of them this year. Anyway, the bumblebees were flying around the wood pile, as the winter jasmine has created a nice woven structure around the decaying wood. But it didn’t always look like this.

2013 JunedThe wildlife patch used to be where a shed was so when it was moved it left a bare patch of earth. I had always wanted to create a wildlife area, so this was my chance. I carefully read a variety of articles about creating an area and set to work with it. I removed all the debris (such as old plant pots) from the area, scattered some seeds and planted some seedlings which I had grown. I had chosen a variety of seed mixes, from common hedgerow species to plants which would be beneficial to insects. There was already the beginnings of a wood pile so this was left and just grew. I would scrounge for bits of old wood due to be put in the garden recycling and triumphantly add them to my decaying wood pile.

But of course a wildlife patch wouldn’t be complete without a pond. So after planting, I started digging my pond in the space I had reserved for it. I knew how deep it needed to be so dug constantly for what seemed like hours. Then I realised I had only dug a hole of about 10 cm deep at most. At that point I went to fetch reinforcements. After the pond was dug, it was filled with rainwater and the wildlife patch was left to develop. That was in 2013 and in two years I have seen it make a huge difference to the wildlife visiting the garden. The birds are always in that corner of the garden, it’s like they know it was made especially for them.

Read my post about creating a wildlife pond here.

Feb 2015

© AJohnson

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s